Thursday, March 25, 2010

Oct. 4, 2009 - My three favorite words ... or at least they used to be ...
Not so long ago my three favorite words were "You are right!" ... I LOVED hearing it. At first, it was just funny ... It was a sickness that turned into a joke among my friends and family ... that wasn't very funny at all after a while.
But in the past year, I've watched countless friendships end and hearts break over some who believed they were right ...
and I realized that right ain't all it's cracked up to be. Being right put people in the middle, put people on the defensive and put people in their place. But never did it do anything to speak to the need in the lives of the ones who were wrong. And frankly, from the not-so-outside looking in, it's done little to improve the lives of the ones who were right either.
And so I decided to do a little searching ... do you know that the scripture never really talks about how highly we are esteemed by our Heavenly Father when we are right ... it talks about humility ... it talks about teaching others ... it talks about confession ... it talks about loving others ... it talks a ton in Proverbs about wisdom and the dangers of the tongue (Hmmm ... primary method of proving how right we are?? I'm just sayin' ...) ... but I can't find anywhere that anyone is given great accolades for being right?? There are however warnings to avoid controversial conversations(see Titus 3), not loan money, not covet what another has, not to provoke to anger, not to fall prey to Pride and oh yeah, to love your neighbor as yourself.
Seems to me that if one is going to follow the teachings of Christ, one would first have to lay down the need to be right ...
just thinkin' outloud here ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home