Thursday, August 12, 2010

Actions Speak

and words are ... just words.

just words?

really?

I heard those words out of the mouth of someone I deeply respect just days ago.

I had to really stop and ponder that ... because I'm a word girl. I know there is great power in words.

The problem isn't that words in and of themselves aren't enough ... it's that they imply that an action will follow most of the time. They instill a sense of hope and optimism in the delivery. But devastate when just left to swim in the heart of the receiver when neglected.

If as a parent we tell our children that we love them, but never back that up with caring for their needs in ways that are significant to them- they will never fully believe they are loved.

If as a spouse we meet every need that is convenient or easy, but neglect the ones that cost us something ... we appear to be taking advantage of our mate. And personally speaking- I'm guilty.

If as a friend we say "I care about you" but we never really back that up with any action ... then its hard to believe!

Words are easily thrown around ... but action takes sacrifice.

My friend found herself feeling like words were being tossed about carelessly by someone she wants to love her in action and in deed ... not just in theory. Not just when it looks good to those who are around to hear the declaration.

Isn't that what we all want really.

I'm hurt much less by someone who never eludes to what I can expect out of a relationship than I am by someone who makes grandiose statements and yet their actions run contrary to their words.

So begs the question ... are words as she said, "just words" ???

I don't think so.

they are the arrows that pierce a heart when not used wisely.

they are the stone that shatters the vessel when wielded carelessly.

Proverbs 16:24
Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Proverbs 25:11
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Comments:

At August 13, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger LaDonna said...

Great thoughts, Amy. I have always said that the little rhyme we learned as kids, "Stick and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me," is such a LIE! They can actually hurt MORE than a broken bone! Lord, help me to consider my words carefully today, and everyday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home