Monday, December 20, 2010

The power of your name ...

It speaks volumes when someone calls your name ...

you know that feeling-

the one that catches your heart by its very core- the first time that little one you've held, nursed, cuddled and prayed over looks at you and knows "mama" ... and your life is forever changed

the one that settles in your heart when a dear friend sees you and there is a sense of relief that accompanies that familiar voice as it calls your name - whether with a knowing quiet or leaping joy ... it fills the empty space that has developed in your absence one from the other

the one that calls deeply as you lie next to your man and you don't know where he starts and you stop ... he whispers your name ... a sense of being known in a rare and treasured way strikes an urgent chord in your soul

Your name.
Their voice.
Power.

John 20:14-16
14When Jesus returned to the garden following His crucifixion, He spoke to Mary.
At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. 15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”
Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”
16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”
She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).


When Jesus spoke in vs. 14- it was His voice ... but when he called to her in vs 16 using her name ... she immediately knew who was speaking.

When Jesus spoke to Peter ... he called him by name. Three times Jesus asked him ...
Peter, do you love me?

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

As Jesus restored Peter, He called him by name.

In John 10:3 the Word tells us that the shepherd calls His sheep by name and his sheep know his voice.
 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.”

I don't know about you but the enemy often tries to convince me that his voice is the voice of my shepherd. And sometimes, I'm just dense enough to let him get away with it. But lately, I've noticed that when the enemy speaks to me, he doesn't use my name. He doesn't speak to who I am, but rather to what I am.

He calls me stupid. He calls me ugly. He calls me __________ ... you fill in the blank.  unworthy, unwanted, undereducated, unimpressive, unlovable, expendable, dispensible, disposible, fake, loser ... but never does he whisper amy, precious daughter, treasured one, child of the king ...
all the things that scripture tells me I am.

He shouts all that I've done. He proclaims all that I've been.

But my name is reserved for my shepherd,

My beloved.

As this year comes to a close and this new venture becomes more real- the calling more certain- I must learn to recognize the voice of my Father. The call of my shepherd.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home