Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Today ...

today I sat across from someone I've known my whole life ... someone I barely recognized ... someone I am proud to call my son.

Today, I sat across from a young man. There is hardly a glimmer of little boy left in him ... occassionally -when he first wakes up, when he's not feeling well, when he wants me to scratch his back, I catch the briefest glimpse of that little boy that used to find his refuge in the crook of my arm. But for all practical purposes ... he is a man.

I watched him hold the door for an older gentleman ... speak kindly to the woman serving us ... watch with concern as the young woman who lost an entire tray of dishes tried to pick them up - I really believe it was all he could do to hold himself back from going and helping her pick it all up.

I listened to him talk about his math final- and was reminded that I FORGOT to get his scientific calculator ... months ago. And he was afraid it was just too much to ask for me to purchase it ... this young man was far more concerned about me than he was himself.

I heard in his voice that he's found a friend. He wanted to ride home with another woman. Not a girlfriend. But someone he trusts ... someone he calls his second mama ... and while others might practice that regularly, he has never called anyone mama but me. Until now- and I couldn't be more pleased!

He is my God Story.
He is my joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home