Saturday, November 20, 2010

Conversations starters ...

a moment in which lives intersect ... when hearts are exposed.

Different friendships demand different conversation.

Acquaintances usually exchange information.
New friendships require stories which bridge the gap between who we are now with who we used to be.
Established friendships include memories and moments where everyone is in on the nuances of life that make events significant.
Then there are friendships that are God-ordained- and He bridges the gap with His love-binding hearts together for His purpose.

Conversations is the name of the Women's Ministry at the church we are attending. They do such a great job of helping women begin significant relationships- right where they find themselves. Some of the women have known each other since the beginning of the church. Others are new attenders. Some have stable, established relationships. Others are broken and wounded- looking for something more in life. Each one of us finds ourselves with the opportunity to be known by at least a few women in attendance.

Discussion starters today:
1. What is your favorite Christmas movie- and one line from that movie.
2. What is something you do at Christmas that makes you feel closer to Jesus.
3. If you were going to host a themed Christmas party what would it be and what famous person would you invite.
4. Name a woman (not your sister or your mother) who has been significant in your life.

1. Favorite Christmas movie ... black and white version of Miracle on 34th Street. My favorite line is when Susan, the 6 year old little girl is riding in the backseat of the car after making a request of Chris ... that would be Chris Kringle ... and believing he wasn't who he claimed to be since he failed to deliver her request. As she rides home from the Christmas Party, she's in the backseat and muttering, "I believe, I believe ... this is stupid ... but I believe." I shared this today ... and the reason it's my favorite fell flat ... I write better than I speak most of the time ... it's my favorite because it speaks to the unbelief that has so often plagued my walk. It's hard to explain unbelief to someone who is steadfast ... and dangerous to discuss fully in the presence of someone you are unclear about the depth of the relationship with Christ. So my story fell flat ... bummer.
2. What makes me feel closer to Christ @ Christmas ... an Advent Calender of some sort ... over the years it's been a 'graded' candle which we burned for a half inch every night ... reading a story during that time ... sometimes a candy treat in one of 24 boxes ... this year, I think we'll combine 24 prophecies that have been fulfilled and point toward the birth of our Savior ... and candy!
3. A themed party ... no themed party for me. I can have you over, feed you great food ... but please don't ask me to decorate or plan a theme! I stink at those kinds of things. Really- it ranks up there with lips and fancy underwear ... things that are just outside my reach!
4. Most influential woman besides mom and sister ... well I have a childhood answer and a modern day answer ... childhood would be Sandy. I have known her since I was 14- and she helped mold me into the woman/wife/mother I am today. Modern-day ... is Jena. She took what Sandy started and, well, pushes me to be the woman God made me to be ... emphasis being on the woman God created me to be. It's been an interesting journey. My mom and sister don't have much influence ... haven't really wanted much influence.

How about you ... what are some conversations starters  you want answers to? Or would you answer these??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home