Monday, March 7, 2011

What is your mat?

Each friend grabbed a corner of the mat that their friend spent the better part of his life laying on ...



I've often wondered what the ailment was ...

but even more often wondered what compelled these friends to care so about one who wasn't an active participant in their lives ... you know, it wasn't like he was out in the fields helping plant or sow or gather ... he wasn't tending the livestock or a blacksmith ... he wasn't a shepherd or among the leadership in the church..



Really ... how did they even come to know this man ... and even more ... how was it that he came to be a good enough friend to these men that they would go to all the trouble of tearing the roof off to lower him to Jesus!!! It's clear that they must have loved him ... they desired his healing ... he must have been a compelling fella to earn the time and effort of these guys! Because really, what did he have to offer??


There's a lot going on in this story ... a lot of people who have to put their pride aside for healing to occur. The man on the mat has to lay down his pride ... and allow the friends to carry him. At first glance, that may not seem like such a sacrifice, but really we all know people who have been laying on their mat for a long time ... and they aren't always willing to even admit that there's a good reason to get up anymore!!



The friends had to be willing to sacrifice. They carried his mat while he was occupying it(dead weight isn't easy to haul) ... they tore off the roof(somebody had to replace that I'm sure) ... they took time away from their families(they had mothers or wives I'm sure who had a list for them) ... they didn't seek Jesus for their own gain (and surely they had needs of their own) ... and they were guys(women I would expect this from, but guys??).



Friendship is powerful ... and each God Story very probably involves someone who was willing to come along side and actively participate in bringing someone to Jesus.



In my most recent journey, someone came along side me. They had been at the feet of Jesus. He had reached into her heart had healed her ... and then told her to take up her mat and go home.

And she did.

She lived.
She loved
She served.
She prayed.
She wrapped her arms around her husband and loved him well.
She nestled babies in her arms and loved them well.
She embraced friends and loved them well.

She experienced His power ... and she practiced it just the same.

Her mat was tucked away in her heart, as a reminder of God's grace and healing.


It wasn't on display for the world to see ...


But His grace and mercy were!

Until I walked into her life.

When I walked in, my heart was hemorrhaging.

She spoke words of comfort.
She promised to pray.
She agreed to keep me accountable.
She invited me to Bible Study.
She listened to my heart cry out for something it couldn't identify.

Grief and despair were choking the very life out of me.


Finally she decided to live her faith radically,
 unrollde her mat and let me see.

Not to display the sin and anguish that had been ...


but to display the grace and mercy that were available ...

Jesus radically healed her ...
and she boldly allowed me an intimate look at the scars from years of carrying the mat on her own.
She radically loved me enough to tell me her story.


Her example has encouraged me to share my own mat when He calls.

So, what is your mat??
And will you allow Him to heal you so that you can carry someone else to Jesus?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home