Friday, February 4, 2011

I'm not sure it was the most important part ...

but it was the part that welled tears in my eyes this morning again ...

The Little House picture didn't take ... I don't know why. But the physical place of my retreat was special. The precious friends who supplied me with pretzel chips and a pink stationary set, flowers and precious words was a blessing- and really the encouragement that I needed in the face of not being sure whether or not to go!

But on Tuesday night a precious thing happened to me ... something that, for whatever reason, has rarely happened in my life.

The circumstance is all too familiar- me alone, arriving in unfamiliar surroundings, under less than ideal circumstances. For years I have traveled to and from Indiana and parts hither and yon ... by myself. No one really worried or concerned. And in truth, I probably wouldn't have had it any other way!

The night was filled with driving rain. It was cold. It was wet. The interstate was busy! I was later than I anticipated because my husband wanted to have dinner with me before I left- another unexpected blessing but it meant I was going to be an hour later than I wanted to be to my destination.

So, at 8:45 or so I pulled into McD parking lot and waited for the precious people who were loaning me the use of their cottage for this time away.

They didn't want me to wander around in the rain trying to follow directions to reach my destination.

They met me, guided me, insisted on helping me carry in my bag ... and we entered this little room - they had clearly anticipated my arrival. They had made preparation for me that FAR EXCEEDED what I anticipated. And I have to confess, I was slightly uncomfortable with it all ... I did not want to be a bother. It was hard for me to ask to stay ... but it was clear that even in the midst of about 10 other things this precious woman had done that day ... she had been glad to add me to her list. A precious card lay from her lay propped on the pillow- I recognize the writing.

As they helped me settle the most unexpected thing happened

Before they left, the precious fella of this couple put his arms around me and asked "Are you ok, baby?", I wanted to fall apart in his arms and say, "NO ... I don't know what's wrong, but NO I am not. "

I didn't. I'm not sure why, except that I just never do.

I was blown away that on this occasion when Jesus and I would be talking about some hard things He started out by making sure I knew that there are good men ... really good, honorable, trust-worthy men. That if I had crumbled, it would have been safe. There was a place to fall, even if in a million years I would never use it ... He had supplied the knowledge that it existed. And I know it was a gift. Just because He loves me ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home